The United Front Against Displacement is an organization of housed and unhoused activists fighting displacement and criminalization of working people.
Learn more about what we do:
The West Oakland Community Newsletter is a collaborative project by the United Front Against Displacement (UFAD) and the Wood Street Community, started in January 2020 in an effort to spread news about the neighborhood and the struggle against the pigs and developers.
Support our relief efforts for residents of the Wood Street Community and other homeless communities. Our relief efforts include sanitation services such as building and maintaining handwashing stations, water towers, a community shower, and more. You can learn more about relief updates on our GoFundMe.
Homelessness is inherently a public health crisis, and as COVID-19 continues to spread across the globe, there is a dire need to insure that people who are forced to live on the streets have the necessary resources to protect themselves and others. Homeless people are some of the most vulnerable to infection and lack support from city and state governments, many are left without the basic means to prevent contamination. Due to these circumstances, we must take it upon ourselves as neighbors, activists, and community members to protect all members of our community and mobilize against these injustices
This is our general schedule of events. For updates, follow us on Twitter.
- All Power to the People! A Rally in Solidarity with the West Oakland Community, August 1, 1pm @ West Oakland BartThe coronavirus pandemic and the recent uprisings against white supremacist police terror after the murder of George Floyd have rocked the U.S. and the world. With over 15.5 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and 650,000 deaths worldwide, and over 4 million cases and 140,000 deaths in the U.S. alone, it is clear that the pandemic willContinue reading “All Power to the People! A Rally in Solidarity with the West Oakland Community, August 1, 1pm @ West Oakland Bart”
- Oakland Police and Caltrans Continue to Harass Homeless People Despite Moratorium on Homeless SweepsThe California Department of Transportation (District 4), the Oakland Police Department, and the California Highway Patrol have continually harassed homeless people in Oakland. Over the last month, the West Oakland Wood Street Community, which consists of nearly 200 residents, has received threats of losing property and having their vehicles towed. The particular area in questionContinue reading “Oakland Police and Caltrans Continue to Harass Homeless People Despite Moratorium on Homeless Sweeps”
- Cal trans, OPD and CHP continue to harass West Oakland Homeless community
- Caltrans Eviction Indefinitely Postponed!!!We were just notified by the California Department of Transportation will not be coming to evict homeless West Oakland residents this week or next! We believe the ongoing uprisings in Oakland as well as our activism have played a role in this deferral. The community is not out of danger, Caltrans stated that they planContinue reading “Caltrans Eviction Indefinitely Postponed!!!”
- Caltrans moves to displace homeless people during a Pandemic
- Founding Statement & Points of UnityThe United Front Against Displacement was formed to fight the displacement & criminalization of working people. In this society, working people are made to live in many different levels of insecure housing and are subject to all manner of abuse at the hands of law enforcement and landlords. It is the poor that have toContinue reading “Founding Statement & Points of Unity”
Join the Struggle Against Homelessness!
Get updates about ongoing work and ways to get involved!
- Join the mailing list to get updates about upcoming events
- Join the struggle against Gentrification and Criminalization