The United Front Against Displacement is an anti-gentrification organization.
Urban Core is our national publication, featuring regular contributions from cities across the country.
The UFAD has chapters in the Bay Area, Boston, and New York City. To get involved with the UFAD or learn more, contact us on social media @theufad or below:
In the Bay Area tenants are organizing in public housing in Oakland and San Francisco. In both cities, tenants are organizing against longterm intentional neglect by the San Francisco and Oakland Housing Authorities. In San Francisco, residents of Sunnydale and Potrero Hill, the last two remaining public housing developments in the city, are organizing against the city’s HOPE SF redevelopment plan and developers Mercy Housing, Related California, and BRIDGE Housing.
See our Blog Feed for ongoing updates.
As the struggle against gentrification has spread across NYC and the country our printing demands have grown. Now Urban Core has become a national publication. We are distributing it across the country, and across New York. Local businesses have made donations to help with printing costs and stock the publication in their stores. The publication is now even carried in some news stands.
At the same time, the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) and HUD are preparing for another push carry out a wholesale privatization of public housing in NYC. Last year we were able to stall their efforts, but they are drafting plans to push privatization legislation through in early 2022. We have already gotten word from tenants at projects like Rangel Houses in Harlem, that privatization fliers are being posted around their developments.
In the face of this resumed onslaught of privatization, we are expanding our outreach and organizing efforts across the city. However, in order to this we need a better printer, capable of handling the growing printing volume for Urban Core, fliers, factsheets, and other materials. In the last month we have had two printers fail on us. First our HP printer stopped printing in the middle of the page, then our Brother printer caught on fire, due to high print volumes. So we are starting this GoFundMe to raise money to buy a high-volume office printer that we need.
This is a letter decrying one of the crimes of the 21st century; the nationwide project by Congress, HUD, big banks, and developers to privatize public housing. For decades Congress has cut funding to public housing developments across the country. This is part of a long history of neglect of public housing, which has led to deteriorating and dangerous conditions for tenants. Mold, asbestos, lead paint, water damage, broken windows, rodent infestations, lack of heat, and other unlivable conditions are all a daily reality for tenants in public housing projects across the country. In addition to this lack of respect or concern for peoples’ health, tenants are regularly subjected to rude, derogatory, and discriminatory treatment for raising these concerns to managers and local housing authorities.
Now after all these years of letting the projects rot and forcing people to live in deplorable conditions, HUD is giving away all the projects to wealthy developers and the big banks. These predatory interests aim to make billions off of this transfer of wealth and land, all at the expense of the millions of people currently living in public housing. Instead of using funding for much needed repairs of public housing, HUD’s budget is now being used to subsidize these privatization projects, which almost always include the construction of new luxury units and the displacement of the vast majority of current project residents.
Esta es una carta denunciando uno de los grandes crímenes del siglo XXI; el proyecto nacional del Congreso, HUD, los grandes bancos y las inmobiliarias para privatizar la vivienda pública. Durante décadas, el Congreso ha recortado los fondos para desarrollos de viviendas públicas en todo el país. Esto es parte de una larga historia de abandono de la vivienda pública, que ha provocado su deterioro y condiciones peligrosas para los inquilinos. El moho, el asbesto, la pintura con plomo, los daños causados por goteras de agua, las ventanas rotas, las plagas de roedores, la falta de calefacción y otras condiciones no habitables son una realidad diaria para muchos inquilinos de los proyectos de vivienda pública en todo el país. Además de esta falta de respeto y de preocupación por la salud de las personas, los inquilinos son sometidos regularmente a un trato grosero, despectivo y discriminatorio por plantear estas preocupaciones a los administradores y las autoridades locales de vivienda.
Ahora, después de todos estos años de dejar que los proyectos se pudran y de obligar a la gente a vivir en condiciones deplorables, HUD está regalando todos los proyectos a desarrolladores adinerados y a los grandes bancos. Estos intereses depredadores apuntan a ganar miles de millones con esta transferencia de riqueza y tierra, todo a expensas de los millones de personas que actualmente viven en viviendas públicas. En lugar de utilizar fondos para reparaciones muy necesarias de viviendas públicas, el presupuesto de HUD se está utilizando ahora para subsidiar estos proyectos de privatización, que casi siempre incluyen la construcción de nuevas unidades de lujo y el desplazamiento de la gran mayoría de los residentes actuales del proyecto.
- Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Resident DemandsFor immediate release: November 26th, 2021 The United Front Against Displacement – Bay AreaEmail: email@example.comPhone: 510-815-9978 Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Resident Demands To: San Francisco Housing Authority, San Francisco Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development, The Partnership for HOPE SF (Office of the Mayor, the San Francisco Foundation, Enterprise Community Partners), San Francisco Board ofContinue reading “Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Resident Demands”
- The False Promise of Privatization and the Fight to Save Public Housing at Mildred HaileyFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday October 27th, 2021. On September 21, we put out a press release titled “Mildred C. Hailey Residents Organize Against Neglect and Demand Repairs”, exposing the extreme neglect and hazardous conditions which Mildred Hailey residents are facing. The Mildred Hailey Committee Against Displacement compiled letters and photographs from 19 residents—just a smallContinue reading “The False Promise of Privatization and the Fight to Save Public Housing at Mildred Hailey”
- Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Residents Organize to Expose San Francisco Housing Authority Neglect, Demand Repairs and Halt to PrivatizationFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday October 21st, 2021. Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Residents Organize to Expose Neglect and Demand Repairs For years, the San Francisco Housing Authority (SFHA) has engaged in a consistent and extreme pattern of willful negligence of its properties, irresponsibly forcing residents to inhabit dangerous apartments which have major mold problems, pest infestations,Continue reading “Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Residents Organize to Expose San Francisco Housing Authority Neglect, Demand Repairs and Halt to Privatization”
- Videos from October 18th San Francisco City Hall: Sunnydale and Potrero Hill residents protest HOPE SF redevelopment and privatizationOn Monday, October 18th, Sunnydale and Potrero Hill residents held a protest at San Francisco City Hall to oppose the HOPE SF redevelopment, the privatization of public housing by the Eugene Burger Management Corporation, longterm neglect by the San Francisco Housing Authority, and the discrimination of mixed status families. This protest followed a protest heldContinue reading “Videos from October 18th San Francisco City Hall: Sunnydale and Potrero Hill residents protest HOPE SF redevelopment and privatization”
- Sunnydale Public Housing Tenants hold protest against HOPE SF redevelopment, HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Mayor London Breed: October 15th, 2021Videos on Twitter On Friday, October 15th, residents of the Sunnydale public housing development in San Francisco held a protest at a new Mercy Housing development built on the site of demolished Sunnydale units. San Francisco Mayor London Breed, Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi and Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary MarciaContinue reading “Sunnydale Public Housing Tenants hold protest against HOPE SF redevelopment, HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Mayor London Breed: October 15th, 2021”
- Press Release: Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Tenants will Protest at San Francisco City Hall on Monday October 18thFor immediate releaseThursday, October 14th, 2021 Tenants of Sunnydale and Potrero Hill with the United Front Against DisplacementPhone: 510-815-9978Email: firstname.lastname@example.org This Monday, October 18th at 4:30pm, tenants of Sunnydale and Potrero Hill public housing in San Francisco are holding a protest at San Francisco City Hall. Tenants are protesting the city government and San FranciscoContinue reading “Press Release: Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Tenants will Protest at San Francisco City Hall on Monday October 18th”
- Update on the struggle at Sunnydale: Residents Protest HOPE SF Privatization Outside SFHA Office on September 18th, 2021 Residents of Sunnydale and supporters gathered on Saturday, September 18th in front of the San Francisco Housing Authority’s office at Sunnydale to protest the city’s HOPE SF redevelopment scheme backed by the big banks. HOPE SF threatens to eliminate public housing in San Francisco by demolishing the last two public housing developments, Sunnydale and PotreroContinue reading “Update on the struggle at Sunnydale: Residents Protest HOPE SF Privatization Outside SFHA Office on September 18th, 2021 “
- Oaklanders Are Speaking Out and Exposing OHA’s LiesLast Saturday a group of activists and residents of Oakland public housing presented a petition and a series of letters written by tenants demanding repairs for neglected public housing units to the Oakland Housing Authority. The petition was posted just outside the OHA’s downtown office. The UFAD had met with over a dozen households withContinue reading “Oaklanders Are Speaking Out and Exposing OHA’s Lies”
- Notes on the Struggle in ChinatownRecently, members of the UFAD joined several protests against MOCA (Museum of Chinese in America) organized by the Chinese Staff and Workers’ Association, Youth Against Displacement, the Coalition to Protect Chinatown and the Lower East Side, and a few other groups. On September 26, several hundred protesters marched through Chinatown and assembled in front ofContinue reading “Notes on the Struggle in Chinatown”
- TEACH-IN: PRIVATIZATION AND DISPLACEMENT- HARLEM RIVER HOUSES, FRIDAY, OCT 1, 5pmFor months, RAD developers have tricked people into signing a lease despite the fact that HUD has not approved the new company from taking over Harlem River yet. This, along with ongoing mismanagement of the buildings, are a serious violations of tenants’ basic housing rights. Join us, learn the FACTS about RAD and Privatization. RefreshmentsContinue reading “TEACH-IN: PRIVATIZATION AND DISPLACEMENT- HARLEM RIVER HOUSES, FRIDAY, OCT 1, 5pm”
Join the Struggle!
Get updates about ongoing work and ways to get involved!
- Join the mailing list to get updates about upcoming events
- Join the struggle against Gentrification and Criminalization
CONTACT THE UFAD:
Social media: @theufad