The United Front Against Displacement is an anti-gentrification organization.
Dispatches Against Displacement is the national publication for the UFAD. We seek to make exposures on a local and a national level to help clarify different questions and issues in the movement against gentrification in order to help strengthen the movement as a whole.
To get involved with the UFAD or learn more, contact us on social media @theufad or below:
People of the Bay is a Bay Area newsletter published by the People of the Bay editorial board in coordination with the United Front Against Displacement.
Urban Core is a neighborhood newsletter in Boston published by the Urban Core editorial board in coordination with the United Front Against Displacement.
Sign the National Petition Against Privatization!
This is a letter decrying one of the crimes of the 21st century; the nationwide project by Congress, HUD, big banks, and developers to privatize public housing. For decades Congress has cut funding to public housing developments across the country. This is part of a long history of neglect of public housing, which has led to deteriorating and dangerous conditions for tenants. Mold, asbestos, lead paint, water damage, broken windows, rodent infestations, lack of heat, and other unlivable conditions are all a daily reality for tenants in public housing projects across the country. In addition to this lack of respect or concern for peoples’ health, tenants are regularly subjected to rude, derogatory, and discriminatory treatment for raising these concerns to managers and local housing authorities.
Now after all these years of letting the projects rot and forcing people to live in deplorable conditions, HUD is giving away all the projects to wealthy developers and the big banks. These predatory interests aim to make billions off of this transfer of wealth and land, all at the expense of the millions of people currently living in public housing. Instead of using funding for much needed repairs of public housing, HUD’s budget is now being used to subsidize these privatization projects, which almost always include the construction of new luxury units and the displacement of the vast majority of current project residents.
Esta es una carta denunciando uno de los grandes crímenes del siglo XXI; el proyecto nacional del Congreso, HUD, los grandes bancos y las inmobiliarias para privatizar la vivienda pública. Durante décadas, el Congreso ha recortado los fondos para desarrollos de viviendas públicas en todo el país. Esto es parte de una larga historia de abandono de la vivienda pública, que ha provocado su deterioro y condiciones peligrosas para los inquilinos. El moho, el asbesto, la pintura con plomo, los daños causados por goteras de agua, las ventanas rotas, las plagas de roedores, la falta de calefacción y otras condiciones no habitables son una realidad diaria para muchos inquilinos de los proyectos de vivienda pública en todo el país. Además de esta falta de respeto y de preocupación por la salud de las personas, los inquilinos son sometidos regularmente a un trato grosero, despectivo y discriminatorio por plantear estas preocupaciones a los administradores y las autoridades locales de vivienda.
Ahora, después de todos estos años de dejar que los proyectos se pudran y de obligar a la gente a vivir en condiciones deplorables, HUD está regalando todos los proyectos a desarrolladores adinerados y a los grandes bancos. Estos intereses depredadores apuntan a ganar miles de millones con esta transferencia de riqueza y tierra, todo a expensas de los millones de personas que actualmente viven en viviendas públicas. En lugar de utilizar fondos para reparaciones muy necesarias de viviendas públicas, el presupuesto de HUD se está utilizando ahora para subsidiar estos proyectos de privatización, que casi siempre incluyen la construcción de nuevas unidades de lujo y el desplazamiento de la gran mayoría de los residentes actuales del proyecto.
- Sunnydale Public Housing Tenants hold protest against HOPE SF redevelopment, HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Mayor London Breed: October 15th, 2021Videos on Twitter On Friday, October 15th, residents of the Sunnydale public housing development in San Francisco held a protest at a new Mercy Housing development built on the site of demolished Sunnydale units. San Francisco Mayor London Breed, Speaker of the House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi and Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary MarciaContinue reading “Sunnydale Public Housing Tenants hold protest against HOPE SF redevelopment, HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge, Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and Mayor London Breed: October 15th, 2021”
- Press Release: Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Tenants will Protest at San Francisco City Hall on Monday October 18thFor immediate releaseThursday, October 14th, 2021 Tenants of Sunnydale and Potrero Hill with the United Front Against DisplacementPhone: 510-815-9978Email: email@example.com This Monday, October 18th at 4:30pm, tenants of Sunnydale and Potrero Hill public housing in San Francisco are holding a protest at San Francisco City Hall. Tenants are protesting the city government and San FranciscoContinue reading “Press Release: Sunnydale and Potrero Hill Tenants will Protest at San Francisco City Hall on Monday October 18th”
- Update on the struggle at Sunnydale: Residents Protest HOPE SF Privatization Outside SFHA Office on September 18th, 2021 Residents of Sunnydale and supporters gathered on Saturday, September 18th in front of the San Francisco Housing Authority’s office at Sunnydale to protest the city’s HOPE SF redevelopment scheme backed by the big banks. HOPE SF threatens to eliminate public housing in San Francisco by demolishing the last two public housing developments, Sunnydale and PotreroContinue reading “Update on the struggle at Sunnydale: Residents Protest HOPE SF Privatization Outside SFHA Office on September 18th, 2021 “
- Oaklanders Are Speaking Out and Exposing OHA’s LiesLast Saturday a group of activists and residents of Oakland public housing presented a petition and a series of letters written by tenants demanding repairs for neglected public housing units to the Oakland Housing Authority. The petition was posted just outside the OHA’s downtown office. The UFAD had met with over a dozen households withContinue reading “Oaklanders Are Speaking Out and Exposing OHA’s Lies”
- Notes on the Struggle in ChinatownRecently, members of the UFAD joined several protests against MOCA (Museum of Chinese in America) organized by the Chinese Staff and Workers’ Association, Youth Against Displacement, the Coalition to Protect Chinatown and the Lower East Side, and a few other groups. On September 26, several hundred protesters marched through Chinatown and assembled in front ofContinue reading “Notes on the Struggle in Chinatown”
- TEACH-IN: PRIVATIZATION AND DISPLACEMENT- HARLEM RIVER HOUSES, FRIDAY, OCT 1, 5pmFor months, RAD developers have tricked people into signing a lease despite the fact that HUD has not approved the new company from taking over Harlem River yet. This, along with ongoing mismanagement of the buildings, are a serious violations of tenants’ basic housing rights. Join us, learn the FACTS about RAD and Privatization. RefreshmentsContinue reading “TEACH-IN: PRIVATIZATION AND DISPLACEMENT- HARLEM RIVER HOUSES, FRIDAY, OCT 1, 5pm”
- Protest at Sunnydale in San Francisco, Saturday September 18th at 2pmOn Saturday September 18 at 2pm, resident organizers from Sunnydale public housing and the United Front Against Displacement will convene a rally outside the local San Francisco Housing Authority office at 1654 Sunnydale Ave to denounce recent attempts to push out residents from their homes. At the end of August, SFHA informed dozens of familiesContinue reading “Protest at Sunnydale in San Francisco, Saturday September 18th at 2pm”
- National Petition to HUD and Congress: Stop Privatizing Public HousingTo: HUD and Congress: Stop Privatizing Public HousingFrom: Public housing tenants, activists, sympathetic organizations, and individuals (Español abajo) This is a letter decrying one of the crimes of the 21st century; the nationwide project by Congress, HUD, big banks, and developers to privatize public housing. For decades Congress has cut funding to public housing developmentsContinue reading “National Petition to HUD and Congress: Stop Privatizing Public Housing”
- Sunnydale residents and Tenant Association oppose the HOPE SF redevelopment and privatization of Sunnydale, and are ignored by politicians, SFHA, and developersSunnydale residents, and Sunnydale Tenant Association president Shelly Leonard opposes the HOPE SF redevelopment and privatization of Sunnydale. For years Shelly has voiced residents’ concerns and opposition to the HOPE SF plan to replace Sunnydale public housing with high rises built by developers Mercy Housing and Related California as part of a ‘mixed income development’Continue reading “Sunnydale residents and Tenant Association oppose the HOPE SF redevelopment and privatization of Sunnydale, and are ignored by politicians, SFHA, and developers”
- Activists from UFAD confront Congressman Adriano Espaillat about privatization of Harlem River and other developmentsToday in NYC, activists from UFAD confronted Congressman Adriano Espaillat about the privatization of Harlem River and other developments under the RAD project, with signs reading “Espaillat Sold out the People, Espaillat Sold Off NYCHA” Espaillat responded to demonstrators that he did not support RAD, and that he does not support it at Harlem River.Continue reading “Activists from UFAD confront Congressman Adriano Espaillat about privatization of Harlem River and other developments”
Join the Struggle!
Get updates about ongoing work and ways to get involved!
- Join the mailing list to get updates about upcoming events
- Join the struggle against Gentrification and Criminalization
CONTACT THE UFAD:
Social media: @theufad