The United Front Against Displacement is an anti-gentrification organization.
Dispatches Against Displacement is the national publication for the UFAD. We seek to make exposures on a local and a national level to help clarify different questions and issues in the movement against gentrification in order to help strengthen the movement as a whole.
To get involved with the UFAD or learn more, contact us on social media @theufad or below:
People of the Bay is a Bay Area newsletter published by the People of the Bay editorial board in coordination with the United Front Against Displacement.
Urban Core is a neighborhood newsletter in Boston published by the Urban Core editorial board in coordination with the United Front Against Displacement.
Sign the National Petition Against Privatization!
This is a letter decrying one of the crimes of the 21st century; the nationwide project by Congress, HUD, big banks, and developers to privatize public housing. For decades Congress has cut funding to public housing developments across the country. This is part of a long history of neglect of public housing, which has led to deteriorating and dangerous conditions for tenants. Mold, asbestos, lead paint, water damage, broken windows, rodent infestations, lack of heat, and other unlivable conditions are all a daily reality for tenants in public housing projects across the country. In addition to this lack of respect or concern for peoples’ health, tenants are regularly subjected to rude, derogatory, and discriminatory treatment for raising these concerns to managers and local housing authorities.
Now after all these years of letting the projects rot and forcing people to live in deplorable conditions, HUD is giving away all the projects to wealthy developers and the big banks. These predatory interests aim to make billions off of this transfer of wealth and land, all at the expense of the millions of people currently living in public housing. Instead of using funding for much needed repairs of public housing, HUD’s budget is now being used to subsidize these privatization projects, which almost always include the construction of new luxury units and the displacement of the vast majority of current project residents.
Esta es una carta denunciando uno de los grandes crímenes del siglo XXI; el proyecto nacional del Congreso, HUD, los grandes bancos y las inmobiliarias para privatizar la vivienda pública. Durante décadas, el Congreso ha recortado los fondos para desarrollos de viviendas públicas en todo el país. Esto es parte de una larga historia de abandono de la vivienda pública, que ha provocado su deterioro y condiciones peligrosas para los inquilinos. El moho, el asbesto, la pintura con plomo, los daños causados por goteras de agua, las ventanas rotas, las plagas de roedores, la falta de calefacción y otras condiciones no habitables son una realidad diaria para muchos inquilinos de los proyectos de vivienda pública en todo el país. Además de esta falta de respeto y de preocupación por la salud de las personas, los inquilinos son sometidos regularmente a un trato grosero, despectivo y discriminatorio por plantear estas preocupaciones a los administradores y las autoridades locales de vivienda.
Ahora, después de todos estos años de dejar que los proyectos se pudran y de obligar a la gente a vivir en condiciones deplorables, HUD está regalando todos los proyectos a desarrolladores adinerados y a los grandes bancos. Estos intereses depredadores apuntan a ganar miles de millones con esta transferencia de riqueza y tierra, todo a expensas de los millones de personas que actualmente viven en viviendas públicas. En lugar de utilizar fondos para reparaciones muy necesarias de viviendas públicas, el presupuesto de HUD se está utilizando ahora para subsidiar estos proyectos de privatización, que casi siempre incluyen la construcción de nuevas unidades de lujo y el desplazamiento de la gran mayoría de los residentes actuales del proyecto.
- Protest at Sunnydale in San Francisco, Saturday September 18th at 2pmOn Saturday September 18 at 2pm, resident organizers from Sunnydale public housing and the United Front Against Displacement will convene a rally outside the local San Francisco Housing Authority office at 1654 Sunnydale Ave to denounce recent attempts to push out residents from their homes. At the end of August, SFHA informed dozens of familiesContinue reading “Protest at Sunnydale in San Francisco, Saturday September 18th at 2pm”
- National Petition to HUD and Congress: Stop Privatizing Public HousingTo: HUD and Congress: Stop Privatizing Public HousingFrom: Public housing tenants, activists, sympathetic organizations, and individuals (Español abajo) This is a letter decrying one of the crimes of the 21st century; the nationwide project by Congress, HUD, big banks, and developers to privatize public housing. For decades Congress has cut funding to public housing developmentsContinue reading “National Petition to HUD and Congress: Stop Privatizing Public Housing”
- Sunnydale residents and Tenant Association oppose the HOPE SF redevelopment and privatization of Sunnydale, and are ignored by politicians, SFHA, and developersSunnydale residents, and Sunnydale Tenant Association president Shelly Leonard opposes the HOPE SF redevelopment and privatization of Sunnydale. For years Shelly has voiced residents’ concerns and opposition to the HOPE SF plan to replace Sunnydale public housing with high rises built by developers Mercy Housing and Related California as part of a ‘mixed income development’Continue reading “Sunnydale residents and Tenant Association oppose the HOPE SF redevelopment and privatization of Sunnydale, and are ignored by politicians, SFHA, and developers”
- Activists from UFAD confront Congressman Adriano Espaillat about privatization of Harlem River and other developmentsToday in NYC, activists from UFAD confronted Congressman Adriano Espaillat about the privatization of Harlem River and other developments under the RAD project, with signs reading “Espaillat Sold out the People, Espaillat Sold Off NYCHA” Espaillat responded to demonstrators that he did not support RAD, and that he does not support it at Harlem River.Continue reading “Activists from UFAD confront Congressman Adriano Espaillat about privatization of Harlem River and other developments”
- A Message to HUD from Tenants of Harlem River Houses: Please Do Not Approve RAD ConversionPlease do not approve NYCHA’s application to convert Harlem River Houses through the RAD program, because 1) resident engagement was insufficient, 2) this project threatens tenant’s well being, and 3) the RAD review process coincided with a pandemic which was doubly fatal for NYCHA residents as the city overall. Harlem River Houses, built in 1937,Continue reading “A Message to HUD from Tenants of Harlem River Houses: Please Do Not Approve RAD Conversion”
- C&C Management Pressuring Harlem River Houses Residents Away From Independent Legal RepresentationFor Immediate Release: C&C Must Stop Pushing Tenants Towards Legal Aid Society This weekend, Harlem River Houses residents with the UFAD distributed fliers with info about tenants’ rights to legal representation and to be named on the class action lawsuit tenants have filed against NYCHA demanding they not be forced to sign new section 8Continue reading “C&C Management Pressuring Harlem River Houses Residents Away From Independent Legal Representation”
- NY Senator Chuck Schumer responds to UFAD, says RAD Privatization at Harlem River Houses Should Be StoppedOn Sunday, June 13, Chuck Schumer responded to a question from The UFAD on the oneNYCHA Podcast. The Tenants of Harlem River Houses have filed a lawsuit against the head of NYCHA, Greg Russ, demanding that privatization be stopped and that they not be forced to sign leases with private management company C&C. NYCHA andContinue reading “NY Senator Chuck Schumer responds to UFAD, says RAD Privatization at Harlem River Houses Should Be Stopped”
- Public Housing Tenants Rally Against Nationwide Privatization of Public Housing and HOPE SF Scheme in San Francisco // Inquilinos de viviendas públicas protestan la privatización a nivel nacional del esquema de viviendas públicas y HOPE SF en San FranciscoPhotos by Leon Kunstenaar, Indybay For Immediate Release: June 16th, 2021 PUBLIC HOUSING TENANTS RALLY AGAINST NATIONWIDE PRIVATIZATION OF PUBLIC HOUSING AND HOPE SF SCHEME IN SAN FRANCISCO On June 12th, Sunnydale and Potrero Hill residents came together in front of San Francisco City Hall to protest the HOPE SF privatization of their homes, whichContinue reading “Public Housing Tenants Rally Against Nationwide Privatization of Public Housing and HOPE SF Scheme in San Francisco // Inquilinos de viviendas públicas protestan la privatización a nivel nacional del esquema de viviendas públicas y HOPE SF en San Francisco”
- June 12th: National Protest at San Francisco City Hall Against Privatization of Public Housing and Neglect by SFHA and OHAOn Saturday, June 12th at 3pm at San Francisco City Hall, tenants of the last two public housing developments in San Francisco, Sunnydale and Potrero Hill, alongside Oakland public housing tenants, will protest the nationwide privatization of public housing and intentional neglect by the San Francisco and Oakland Housing Authorities. This protest is part ofContinue reading “June 12th: National Protest at San Francisco City Hall Against Privatization of Public Housing and Neglect by SFHA and OHA”
- San Francisco Housing Authority Management Scams Undocumented Public Housing Residents at Potrero Hill, Charging 60% of IncomeFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 26, 2021 Contact:United Front Against Displacement510email@example.com SAN FRANCISCO HOUSING AUTHORITY MANAGEMENT SCAMS UNDOCUMENTED PUBLIC HOUSING RESIDENTS AT POTRERO HILL, CHARGING 60% OF INCOME San Francisco Housing Authority management is charging at least ten families with undocumented family members in public housing at Potrero Hill 60% of their income for rent. TheseContinue reading “San Francisco Housing Authority Management Scams Undocumented Public Housing Residents at Potrero Hill, Charging 60% of Income”
Join the Struggle!
Get updates about ongoing work and ways to get involved!
- Join the mailing list to get updates about upcoming events
- Join the struggle against Gentrification and Criminalization
CONTACT THE UFAD:
Social media: @theufad